Author Topic: Need some help with a texture job  (Read 802 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Need some help with a texture job
Hey there !

I could use some help with creating an UV-Map. I am still using Truespace (and i like it, don't want to change), but I suck at create good looking textures for spheroid objects. Since there are so many talents in this board, i thought it couldn't hurt to ask around here :

This is the Object : A sphere with a few deformation and intakes, though you don't need to care about them. All intakes, doors and other stuff will be done by me. All I need is the base texture for the sphere. The sphere has around 500 faces, and is currently split into four objects, so technically you will only need to texture a halfsphere, and then I can mirror the rest if the texture allows it (depends on the look of those faces, where both half spheres will touch each other). It needs a good looking texture with a metallic effect, small scratches and should be burned at the bottom (this is where the engines are placed). For scaling, the object is about 150 Meter in height (canon says 78m, but that doesn't fit) so the texture should match that impression a bit

Here is a picture (yes, I know it looks a little like a boob, don't get me started, i didn't invented this design  :p )

To give you a better impression, this is how it looks more or less finished, but as you can see, I don't get the square texture to fit best on the parts of the sphere that are getting smaller (mostly in the upper 30% of the model). Overall, I think it looks like crap :(  For texturing, you have a complete 512x512 texture file available for space. Of course you can use a bigger one, but the details should still be created that way, that I can scale the texture down. 512 will be the max that we aim for in the engine.

@Mods : I would appreciate if you could leave this thread here, until I found the help i search. After that, you can either delete or move the thread to my forum. I just postet here, so that I can reach more people. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:45:20 am by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.